All right, here’s my contribution to the art tutorial infographic world, part 1 of 2. I’ve noticed that even in professional illustration, so often the humans and environments and armor and whatnot is really, really great— correct anatomy, lighting, proportions, like ‘wow this is fantastic WAIT what is up with that HORSE?’
I suspect two things;
First is that I spend 15 hours a day, 365 days a year looking, touching, handling, and just generally being around horses.
Second is that most people do not.
Artists have lost touch with their connection to horses as contemporary society has lost touch with them. Generally, we don’t have that constant presence of horses in our lives that previous generations did, as horses aren’t part of the everyday landscape any more. They don’t work the fields, they don’t cart the goods, they don’t deliver the mail or transport you to the next town down the road.
However, we still see horses all the time— in movies, books, illustration, ads and logos, we are presented with the image of horses all the time. So we assume ‘yes, I have seen horses often and I know what they look like.’ Because of our exposure, we as artists don’t always feel like we need to heavily reference the animals as if we were drawing something we don’t see everyday (say, like elephants or giraffes or sea cucumbers). Our brain just kind of plugs in ‘horse shaped’ and we go with that.
And I suspect that ends up being where a lot of these common mistakes occur. Dogs are familiar, but we can easily find a dog to draw from live, to see the way the shapes of its face are put together in 3-dimensions. Cats, humans, birds… if we venture just a little ways outside our studios (or in some cases, inside), we can find live models to study easily.
You can’t really do that with horses. They’re a commodity, sequestered away behind fences on private farms and shuttered away in barns. So few people really get the chance to be up close and have that hands-on experience to really learn how a horse is put together.
So here’s some things, based on my own experience both drawing and working with horses, that might help you if you find yourself needing to draw one for yourself.
The approach I took might be more complicated than absolutely necessary, but I tried to present the subject of ‘how to draw horses’ a little differently than I’ve seen it done before. I hope someone finds it understandable, and more importantly, helpful!
If you share this, please don’t delete my commentary about it above. Thanks :3
Really useful :3 Thank you :) Need to start learning how to draw horses again~
A friend asked me if I had any pointers on drawing dingle dongles and I may or may not have gotten totally carried away and drew out a bunch of stuff, heheh.
Figured Id post it just in case any nsfw artists found it helpful at all~
Also if I have any incorrect info or you have tips feel free to let me know. Always eager to supplement my penis expertise~ haha~
REBLGBSLE FOR ANON Oh i added a bit more bc i was half asleep last night UM I DON”T THINK I’m the best at drawing ahds at all so yeah listen only if u think it helps !!
UMM FOR HANDS I FOUND THIS ARTIST VERY USEFUL!
Nettle Crepes anyone?Rex couldn’t stop salivating, there were few pools of drool just outside the kitchen from my crepethief (his nose always seemed to be next to the plate although I always told him nope). He loves crepes.
If I made a vid of my notebook with drawings from day something to this day with all the pages, be it shitty few lines or “finished” pieces would anyone be interested to see and laught their heads off from the horrifying swiggles?
& I was thinking, if in near future I’d open commissions or do some adoptables or something like that, would anyone be interested in them?
- 1. Post a picture of you?
- 2. Would you date an 18-year-old at the age you are now?
- 3. Do you prefer to be friends with girls or boys?
- 4. Would you ever smile at a stranger?
- 5. Can you commit to one person?
- 6. How do you look right now?
- 7. What exactly are you wearing right now?
- 8. How often do you listen to music?
- 9. Do you wear jeans or sweats more?
- 10. Do you think your life will change dramatically before 2014?
- 11. Are you a social or an antisocial person?
- 12. If the person you like says they like someone else, what would you say?
- 13. Are you good at hiding your feelings?
- 14. Can you drive a stick shift?
- 15. Do you care if people talk badly about you?
- 16. Are you going out of town soon?
- 17. When was the last time you cried?
- 18. Have you ever liked someone you didn’t expect to?
- 19. If you could change your eye color, would you?
- 20. Name something you have to do tomorrow?
- 21. Name something you dislike about the day you’re having.
- 22. Have you ever liked one of your best friends of the opposite sex?
- 23. Are you nice to everyone?
- 24. What are you sitting on right now?
- 25. Do you think you can last in a relationship for 6 months and not cheat?
- 26. Have you ever wanted someone you couldn’t have?
- 27. Who was the last person you talked to before you went to bed last night?
- 28. Do you get a lot of colds?
- 29. Have your pants ever fallen down in public?
- 30. Does anyone hate you?
- 31. Do you have someone of the opposite sex you can tell everything to?
- 32. Do you like watching scary movies?
- 33. Are you a jealous person?
- 34. If you had to delete one year of your life completely, which would it be?
- 35. Did you have a dream last night?
- 36. Is there anyone you can tell EVERYTHING to?
- 37. Do you think you’ll be married in 5 years?
- 38. Do you think someone has feelings for you?
- 39. Do you think someone is thinking about you right now?
- 40. Did you have a good day yesterday?
- 41. Think back 2 months ago; were you in a relationship?
- 42. Is your life anything like it was two years ago?
- 43. If the person you wish to be with were with you, what would you be doing right now?
- 44. What’s the best part about school?
- 45. Do you have any pictures on your Facebook?
- 46. Do you ever pass notes to your friends in school?
- 47. Do you replay things that have happened in your head?
- 48. Were you single over the last summer?
- 49. What are you supposed to be doing right now?
- 50. Don’t tell me lies, is the last person you texted attractive?
- SEND ME NUMBERS AND I WILL ANSWER.
Anonymous asked you:
Hey, is it okay if you like do a tutorial on trees and shrubs? PS: I looooooove your art and tutorial they are just soooooo wonderful, inspiratonal, amazing.
aww thank you so much!! ;v; haha well I don’t know a lot of trees so here’s two I actually know lmao, oak tree and pine tree I will go study more tree names when I have the time ohgosh _(:3 7 hope it helps!
"THEY ARE ALL OKAY, and all those things could exist in THE SAME WOMAN. Women shouldn’t be valued because we are strong, or kick-ass, but because we are people. So don’t focus on writing characters who are strong. Write characters who are people."
Would anyone want to do the “redraw in your style” meme